Monday, March 05, 2007

Dad, A bad museum and a great game of shuffleboard

This weekend was pretty great!
Friday night i was hanging out at sweets, and heard on the radio about the Rock Paper Scissors competition at the Grocery! I had to run (really drive, just with a fire under my rear) to the Grocery to get in the game. This was my second tournament. I was representing. I made it into the finals and made it into a close second place. The last game was really close. Next time. The next one is on the 16th and i will totally be there. the winner goes to the coastal tournament, and the winner of that goes to Vegas! just think i might have to ask my boss off for a week to play in the national rock paper scissors comp. Ha ha... i could only dream!

I got my house all clean Saturday morning, and oh did it need it. And, my dad was coming, so i had to get it into shape. My dad came just for the day to bring me furniture from my brothers house. Although it was a short trip, it was nice. We had a beer at sweets, unloaded the furniture, took Deloris on a walk to the beach, and went to Toronto's Boiler for craw fish and gumbo. We ate way way way too much. I need to emphasize that we ate too much. I had to work at sweets at 5 so dad decided to drive on back to Alabama.

Work was fun. It was pretty slow, but it was enjoyable. One of my friends came up there while i was working and kept me laughing all evening.

Sunday, all of the gals from the office met me in ocean springs at the waffle house south of the interstate (there is one north of the interstate too, two waffle houses at one exit) then we headed off for the museum in Mobile. The museum was alright. It was a really corporately designed, poorly lit, poorly curated, and overpriced. The gift shop was lacking in fun things (although i did get a package of Monet temporary tattoos, which is really awesome) and they did not even have a cafe. We went to see the William Christenberry exhibit. I love him, but the exhibit was not made of his strongest pieces. i did like a few of them, some that i had never seen before, but overall, i was not really excited about it when i left. They did have one of his models there, and i love those models. There was an amazing exhibit, also poorly lit, of Howard Cook's drawings. His drawings were mostly charcoal on news print. His drawings of the steal forgeries in Birmingham and cotton gins were very reminiscent of the movie Metropolis. Very futuristic in a southern language. His portraits were so sincere, and still had a bit of the futuristic feel. Their permanent collection was not really that great. Sorry Mobile. you gotta get your stuff together. especially the lighting, because you go to a museum to see things, not just be in their presence. Oh. but i do give props to the museum because of their great butterfly sculpture out front. It was made from old metal and it was huge, and way up in the air, and you pull a lever and its wings open. The best thing there by far! super beautiful.

After we left, we drove around mobile and saw their neat downtown and their beautiful old houses. I really love the historic neighborhood of mobile. it is so different from a lot of historic areas in the south because of the scale of the buildings. They were not the huge mansions that you see every where else. they were small little well built homes, close together. It was refreshing if you can call something that old refreshing. Well, the ocean is old, and it can be refreshing, so yes, mobile was refreshing!

We finally got back to ocean springs, and headed for the lynchburg for some shuffleboard. It was really nice to hang out with girls all day, and it was really great to hang out with them with my friends from ocean springs. Christine totally kicked major butt. Jody and Sarah did too. me... well i was off my game last night, but that is ok, i will bounce back. I am still in the second spot in the Rock Paper Scissors competition.

So, now i am going to continue working on that shrimp house. I will post pictures tomorrow once Christine posts them on her flickr.

If you are bored: Check out Yacht Rock on You Tube! Keep it smooth, and Ive got the fire!

No comments: