Sunday, December 30, 2007

Books

Here are two quick book reviews of things i have read this week. I am not giving a synopsis of the books, you can get those on amazon. I would recommend both though. Highly.
On Chesil Beach, by Ian McEwan, proved to be a good choice. It was a beautifully written novel. Every paragraph was poetic, descriptive, and needed. It had the possibility to be a very typical book, but the way it was written created a special tension, that kept you with Edward and Florence, the characters in the book. That tension made this book was painful at times.

Look Me in the Eye, by John Elder Robinson was a great impulse buy for me! I am glad i did it. I guess the cover got me, or maybe it was my long standing, and unfulfilled curiosity about Aspergers and Autism, but when i started reading it, i was pleasantly surprised. I have also always been fascinated with how people work or think or make things, especially in the creative/design world, and this was a wonderful window into a new mind. He also has these hilarious stories of growing up.

It seems that memoirs are really getting to be popular these days. This one i would suggest.


Future books: I am still working on Miranda July's No One Belongs Here More than You. I started out of the gate real fast on that one, but i have slowed down. Maybe i will finish it this break. I have also started Atonement, by Ian McEwan. I want to see that movie but i cannot find a theater. Oh well. My brother gave me the book, Devil in the White City, which i have wanted to read for a while, and i want to read Running With Scissors, by John Elder Robinson's brother, Augustus Borroughs. I have actually wanted to read it for a long time, and i have been holding out on watching the movie so i could read the book first. So that is my future reading list. Maybe i can accomplish the book a month thing again.

No comments: