Sunday, February 07, 2010

Book 2: the Help


Man, I am flyin through this birthday resolution. I am also amending this resolution. I cannot buy a book. Some one has to loan it to me, or i have to go to the library, or i have to already have it. That is the amendment! Good thing that the first two books both fit under this amendment.

Book #2: The Help by Kathryn Stockett.
click here to go to the books page on Amazon!

This book was right up my alley. I have always enjoyed reading about the Civil Rights Movement here in the south. In addition to hearing about how people can overcome great inequity, it is also strange and powerful to know that i live in that changed place. And while i know that there is still much to be done, much to change and the country still has faults, it makes me feel like i am proof that change has happened. If i were born 25 years earlier, i would have been born into a segregated and violent time. So, thank you all of those who made my life better, and richer.

This book is about a group of black maids in the early 60s in Jackson Mississippi, and their interaction with the white families they served. It is powerful, and feminine. That doesnt mean that men shouldnt read it. They should. It is about women, strong women. I highly recommend this book!!! TO ANYONE. We need to remember all of the work that has gotten us here to where we are, and we need to thank those people who fought so hard.


This book was given to me by my friend Dawn. I share my Wednesday evenings with her and two other women. This book is one that three of us have enjoyed and the fourth is reading now! I am thankful for those women that I share a porch with, and I am glad they introduced me to this book!

No comments: