Monday, August 24, 2009

Oh my garden.... and Dan!

In my last post, I mentioned that my weekend was not over... and that certainly was the case.

On my walk with my Momma on Sunday morning before she left, we were talking about cooking and things that we both enjoy.... and the subject of gardening came up. I had a garden I was pretty proud of when I was living in the camper, and when I moved, i had to let those baby tomatoes, the leafy dark green kale, my peppers, peas, squash that was just starting to make fruit, and my basil patch go to a certain future of an uneaten death. It was sad, very sad. Well, in our walk, we decided that it was time for me to make a garden, i could start with an array of fall veggies, and a few tomato plants, that would hopefully make fruit before it gets cold.

Well, after momma left, I headed for the garden center to buy some edging and some plants and seeds. I started digging up the grass. Once most of the grass was removed, I dug the edges for the border material. I was just beginning to put the border in when one of my best friends from college pulled up into my driveway. After giving him a quick hug, I ran in side, and put on some fresh clothes.

Dan, the same person I went to visit in Chicago not too long ago, is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so genuine, and so inquisitive. I always have such a brilliant time around him. We jumped on bikes and rode through Ocean Springs. We rode through the harbor, and down to the Yacht Club where we looked at the catamarans and watched folks sailing. While we were there, he mentioned that he really wanted some sea food. I tried to think of a good place to go, but nothing was coming to mind, so I offered to cook him the rest of the Amberjack that I had in my fridge.

We called up one of my friend's that Dan had wanted to spend some time talking to, and I cooked dinner. It was a very relaxed and enjoyable dinner.

Monday, as I was leaving my house, I remembered that I had a half finished garden that needed to be finished that afternoon. It was no burden, but instead, made me a bit excited. I love doing yard work. I love it almost as much as I like cooking.

When I got home from work, I changed into my play clothes, ate a snack and got to it. I finished edging the garden, raked it smooth, and planted the mature plants that I had bought from the garden center.



In the garden right now are full sized tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, thyme, basil and cilantro.



I have seeds for brussels sprouts, kale, turnips and spinach. I will be working on getting those started tonight!

No comments: