Sunday, August 23, 2009

The weekend aint over yet....

but some how it feels like I have had enough fun to satisfy the weekend gods already.

I woke up this morning at around 6 am, listening to the birds and the sounds of my neighborhood. It was the first night I have slept with my windows open in a few months. It was really the first night that was noticably cool enough to do. I didn't really want to get out of bed. But I figured I could enjoy the cool morning outside, so I am sitting out in my screened porch, drinking coffee and enjoying the 70degree morning. It is beautiful out. My dog is at my feet, freshly brushed, and wishing she had a bite of my toast. (i will probably give into this) I hope the rest of my day goes as beautifully.

So far, my weekend has been just perfect. Not rushed, not wild, not action packed...I am not even sunburned but I probably should be.

Momma and Kathy rolled into town Friday around lunch time and we headed to Le Bakery for some Vietnamese poboys. Kathy went to the casino to meet up with her dad and momma took my car and went to the house for a nap.

Around 3:30 Momma picked me up from the office, we ran to the store to get necessities like coffee, dish detergent and a downy ball, dropped it off at the house and headed out. Momma loves this town, and it always seems that I recognize how pleasant it is more when she is here. We went to the Grocery ordered a few beers and sat outside to watch the evening begin in Ocean Springs. Kathy joined us a little while later, and then a few more friends pulled up chairs. It was raining at this point, and it only added to the atmosphere. Thankfully we were under the roof, but a few drops kept finding their way through, and they always seemed to land in one of my friend's glasses. It became almost a running joke. We ended up ordering some hummus and some of the grocery's fresh french fries, and sat there for the rest of the evening. The band came in, and we even sat there for that. It was so relaxing, and it was like the fun just came to us.

We left after we got to hear James play his harps with the band for a song or two, and went home to go to bed.

The next morning, Momma and I finished off the rest of the lasagna tart for breakfast, and went out to put a pic-nick together for our afternoon adventure. We went to the saturday morning farmers market, Fayards, and the grocery store, and had the materials to make a beautiful roast beef sandwich with red hoop cheese, on fresh baked bread and peppers from my momma's friend Al's garden back in Alabama. We packed the cooler full of beer, and our fancy sandwiches, met up with James, and headed out to the island.

The water was flat, and the sky was clear. We spent the day walking the beach, picking up huge scallop shells, trying to windsurf (james was the only one who could do it. but he has been doing stuff like that for years) and we ate our pic-nick. It was such a relaxing day. We got back into the harbor, right as the sun was hitting the horizon. After unpacking the boat, momma and I headed back to the house.

Momma and I went to Shady's and split a steak salad, and then headed to the Julip room but we were both so worn out that we were only good for one drink. The next morning we got up and went for a long walk around my neighborhood before Kathy came to pick her up.

It sounds like I have had a very full weekend, but the crazy thing is, is that it isnt over. I am expecting a visit from a good friend from school, and I think I will start making a garden while I wait for his arrival.

No comments: