Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Curried Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Swiss Chard.... i mean Water Cress

Ok, so this is a recipe that I love, and that I have cooked several times. I usually replace the Swiss Chard with what ever green that I have, like Collards, turnips, mustards, or kale.

When I saw this recipe, it struck me as being a mix between two of my favorite things in cooking, southern and curry. Sweet potatoes, greens, and a legume... sounds close to a mix that I have had of sweet potatoes, greens and pink eyed purple hulls, but then you add all of these rich spices...... ughhh HEAVEN! and then the pop of the lime and cilantro! yes!

And it is pretty easy to make. All of the stuff goes in one pot and it cooks a little while. It does help to go ahead and measure out all of the spices and get everything lined up, because some of the steps go quick, but the clean up is next to nothing.

Ok, so this time, for some reason, I was thinking Water Cress in stead of my normal greens when I was at the store. I am not sure why... but that is what I got. It has been a while since I last made this. Oh my memory.

Anyways... I could not find this recipe on the NYTimes website where I originally found it, which I was going to link to it in this post. So here. I am writing it for you. NY Times, please dont get mad at me for doing this, but it is so good, and i tried to find it.



Curried Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Swiss Chard
Origionally published November 14, 2007 on the NY Times Website.

Time: 1 hour

2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1-in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded if desired, then minced
4 to 5 cups vegetable broth as needed
2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups dried lentils
1 bay leaf
1 lb swiss chard, center ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 lime
1/3 cup finely chopped tamari almonds for garnish(optional)
1/4 cup chopped scallions for garnish

1) In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, garam masala, curry powder, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring for 1 minute

2) Stir in 4 cups broth, sweet potatoes, lentils and bay leaf, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and simmer for 25 min. (if lentils seem dry, add up to 1 cup stock as needed. Stir in chard, salt and pepper, and continue cooking until lentils are tender, and chard is cooked, about 30-45 min. total.

3) Just before serving, stir in cilantro, lime zest and juice. Spoon into a large, shallow serving dish. garnish with almonds if desired and scallions.

yeild: 8-10 side dish servings, 6 Main-course servings.




Final Note: after trying this batch, the water cress in it ain't half bad. I guess any green will do!
Good luck!

No comments: