Thursday, September 17, 2009

My third pork roast!!!!


So, third time must be a charm, because with as much as I have enjoyed eating the other two pork tenderloins this is the first time I have managed to take a picture of the finished product.

This like my second pork pot roast, this one I cooked in the crock pot. Saturday morning, I ran to the store and got all of my supplies, hurried home and threw it in the pot.

Here is what I used:

2 small pork tenderloins (about 1.5 lb each)
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 small turnips, peeled and diced
6 carrots, peeled and chopped into thirds
1 onion, chopped into 8ths
4 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
2 bay leaves
6 stalks of fresh thyme
salt and pepper
a few tbl sherry

First, brown the pork tenderloin on all sides. Throw that into the crock pot, and deglaze the pan with a bit of sherry, and through that juice into the pot as well. Throw everything else in, cover with water, and turn it on, slow cook for 6 -8 hours. Stir every once in a while. MAGIC.

I just thought of something that might be good, after you deglaze the pan and pour off the juice, it might be good to sautee the onions garlic and bay leaves in a little olive oil before throwing them in. I will try this next time.

This brings me to a few questions for who ever reads this thing:

First, what do you call a pork pot roast? is it a pork roast(isnt this more something that is done in the oven like the first one)? a pork tenderloin? a pot roast (i think this refers to a beef pot roast)? If you know, please let me know.

Second, I know that the crock pot is not the really gourmet way to cook. It takes a lot of the skill out of it, as well as the fun and challenge, but there is also something nice about putting something on and being able to do your thing through out the day, and coming home to a good meal. BUT my problem, and one of the reasons for me repeating this same dish twice, is that i cannot find any recipes that look good that don't use packaged stuff, like soup mix or bouillon, or the god forsaken mushroom soup. I have just ordered a book that looks promising, The Best Slow Cooker Cook Book Ever by Diane Phillips, but if you know of any delicious recipies, that use only real food, I would appreciate it. By the way...canned tomatoes are included in the real food category, as they are usually better than the fresh tomatoes you can get at the store. Please send me your slow cooker recipes... and I will let you know how that book turns out.

No comments: