Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Katrina's Anniversary, and my icky stomach!

Friday afternoon, I left the office with a bit of a belly ache. It had been lingering for a week and that was the most nauseous I had been the entire time. I spent most of the night in bed reading the rest of David Sedaris's When you are Engulfed in Flames. Yet another great book by him! I have two of his books left to read: Dress your family in Corduroy and Barrel Fever. I really love his stories.

Saturday, I woke up, with still a bit of a twinge in my stomach, but I figured it would go away. I met up with one of my client's Myra to take pictures of her and her children in front of her house. Here is one of my favorites from the morning.
After the photo shoot, I headed home for a spell. I watered my garden, took Deloris on a walk then headed back to Biloxi. I was meeting some of my friends to head to Long Beach for the dedication of a large project our studio worked on.

The project is called the Trace. It is a subdivsion built by Habitat for Humanity Gulf Coast. I did not work on this project, but our office worked with them on their neighborhood design, house design and hooked them up with a landscape architect which in my mind completely made the project. Our houses are good, and Habitat did a great job at building them well. But the landscaping of the neighborhood really makes it feel like it is a coastal Mississippi neighborhood. It also makes it look unique. I was not on the ball with taking pictures at this event. My stomach was angry at me, and it was making me grumpy, but here is a picture of one of the houses set under an old tree, and it looks so natural the way it is sitting in the landscape, like that house was there for years, but it was just built.
There are street lights, sidewalks, and local plants that wont die in this extreme heat. This is why landscape architects are so important. This is why design is important, especially in affordable housing.

Anyways, at the dedication was Mississippi's Governor Haley Barbour. He gave a speech off of one of the porches about Mississippi's progress, and the people of Mississippi. It is good to see that projects like this are not going unnoticed and are seen as part of the progress to rebuild after the storm.


My next post will have more about my time in Long Beach. Promise.

1 comment:

norman said...

i thought the same when i saw that pic on flickr, that the house looked like it had been there a while. great placement amongst the trees.