Monday, September 28, 2009

My first sailing trip.

Oh what a good weekend I had. Friday, I went out around Ocean Springs, and I was exhausted, so I went home kind of early. Saturday, I started some Occo-buco in the crock pot(another post to come) and my friend James picked me up to take me to a delicious lunch at Al Fresco. I had a cup of minestrone soup and a fried green tomato sandwich, he had the ravioli. Once we finished our lunch, we went to Miners Toy Store. If you dont know this place and you live in Ocean Springs, or along the coast, you should visit. We went there last week to get a gift for a friend's birthday, and we had so much fun we decided to go again. James bought me a big green ring, and he got two wind up air planes.

We took the planes to the park and flew them. Oh it was so much fun. We ran a bunch of errands an then headed to his house to see if we could rig up his catamaran. He didnt have the right size sails for his boat, so we headed to my house for that Occo Buco and the Big Labowski.

Sunday, I got a lot of chores done and around noon James called up telling me to pack a lunch for three and put my swimmies on. (he used that word, swimmies. so cute) anyways. i did what he said, and about an hour later he picked me up and took me to a dock, where we met up with one of his friends.

We were going sailing!!!!! We were on a trimaran, which is a very fast and stable sail boat. We (james and his friend) got all of the rigging set up and we were off. We ran on the little motor until we got past the bridges, and they raised the Jib and the Main Sail. We were sailing! it was so amazing. James was definitely in his element, but he was being a good teacher as well, showing me how work some of the ropes and the rigging. Oh my goodness it was so much fun.

When we got to where they were ready, they rose the spinnaker. It was so beautiful.

I have to say that sailing is amazing. You don't have any motor, it is all natural power pulling you along. It is so quiet. All you hear is the water hitting the bow.



We were sailing for a while and they let the spinnaker down, and I guess we were moving a long so pretty that a flock of pelicans started flying with the mast. There were probably 7 or 8 of them. It was so neat.

All in all, i loved sailing. It was amazing, and relaxing, and humbling. I think I have the bug.

No comments: